With how the online market has grown so saturated in recent years, arguably SEO now is very important as the most effective way to generate organic traffic.SEO is very effective in building awareness, but you still need the right tactics and techniques to quickly grow your traffic.
Here, we will discuss the five most effective SEO techniques that double your search traffic! Let’s start with the first one.
1. Defining and Understanding Target Audience
What is the objective of SEO? While it might vary depending on the business/person implementing it, most likely it’s to attract more traffic to the website. That is, attracting our audience.
On the other hand, one of the key aspects of SEO success is to make sure your content can please your target audience. Google themselves stated that the mission of Google search is to deliver the most relevant information for its target audience. The more reliable and relevant your content is for your target audience, the higher you’ll rank, which can help you double your search traffic in no time.
So, the better you can understand your target audience, the better you can deliver value and relevance, and we can do the following:
- Use Google Analytics and check your existing traffic. You can aim to find an audience similar to this existing traffic
- Analyze engagement on your website (i.e blog comment) and your social media engagement. Check what kind of content gets more engagement and by whom.
- Use social media to engage with your audience, for example, to conduct surveys and interviews.
- Use platforms like Quora to gain more customer insights
2. Proper Site Audit To Develop Your SEO Strategy
Knowing the current state of our site is very important so we’ll know which area we can optimize to achieve the following objectives:
- Making sure your content is more valuable and relevant for your target audience (as discussed above)
- Optimizing the UX aspect of your site like mobile-responsiveness, page load speed, and so on so our audience can stay longer on our website (maximize dwell time) and also prevent high bounce rate
- Ensuring Google can properly crawl and index your website and also properly recognize all site elements.
We can do this by implementing a proper site audit, and while a site audit can be a pretty broad subject to discuss, here are some of the most important areas to audit:
- Optimizations on titles/headings and META descriptions
- Proper keyword optimization for each page (and avoid keyword stuffing)
- URL structure and optimization
- Readability and page structure/layout
- Usage of white spaces
- Short paragraphs for easier readability
- Proper utilization of headings/subheadings
- CTA optimizations
- Image optimizations (using keywords in alt tags)
- Internal linking structure and backlinks profile
You might want to check out this guide on how to do an SEO audit to learn further about this subject. However, the more accurate your SEO audit is, the better you can plan your SEO strategy ahead.
3. Implement Proper Keyword Research
How exactly should we define our target keywords? There are three main principles:
- The target keyword should be searched often by your target audience. It should be relevant enough for our target audience and properly measured via monthly search volume.
- The keyword must be valuable for your business. Not all popular keywords that are searched by your ideal audience will be relevant for your business.
- The competition for the said keyword must be manageable, depending on your budget and timeline.
- Optimize for Search Intent
- Effective Link Building Tactic
Use the three principles above to list your potential target keywords, and then decide on which keywords you should prioritize based on your SEO objective and keyword difficulty/competition. If, for example, there are keywords of which your site already ranked on the first page, then these keywords should be your main priority.
You can use various keyword research and SEO tools from free ones to premium ones to help with your keyword research. Yet, it should be based on the three principles above.
One of the key factors of ranking higher on our target keywords is to make sure that our content can satisfy the search intent for that keyword.
That is, long-form, in-depth content isn’t always the right approach for a certain keyword with specific search intent, and vice versa, bite-size content isn’t always better. It will all depend on the target audience’s search intent.
In general, there are three main search intent to pay attention to:
- Navigational intent: the user wants to specifically go to a certain web page. You can optimize for this search intent by using your brand name (or specific product name) in strategic positions (title, headings, META subscription).
- Informational intent: the key to optimizing your content for informational intent is to use the “question query” (the question asked by your audience) in strategic places. Also, try to answer this question in the very first paragraph of your content.
- Transactional intent: the user wants to do something (execute a conversion), so the key here is to ensure your content is focused on the desired outcome, and to use your CTA effectively.
Backlinks are still the most important ranking factor in SEO. However, it’s important to note that nowadays, the quality of your backlinks is more important than quantity. In fact, getting too many low-quality backlinks at any given time can get your site penalized by Google.
But, as we all know, getting these high-quality backlinks can be easier said than done, although getting just 2 to 3 and up to 5 backlinks per month are generally enough.
Here are some tips to generate high-quality backlinks effectively:
- The quality of your content is key in generating backlinks. High-quality and relevant content will always get backlinks sooner or later. On the other hand, no legal link building tactics can help low-quality content.
- Give them the “hook”, a reason to link your content by including:
- Visual assets like well-taken photos and infographics, etc.
- Unique and valuable opinion for your niche
- Unique information and data like data roundup, case study, research report, and white paper, etc.
- Promote your content via various available channels like social media, guest posting opportunities, influencer marketing, and so on while also aiming to get backlinks in the process
The five techniques we have discussed can effectively double your search traffic, but you still need to remember that SEO is a long-term game that will require consistency. Make sure you are consistent with these five techniques and other optimizations, monitor your progress, and adjust when necessary.